Sunday 3 May 2015

What turns me on–Taiwo Oladoye, gospel singer


She can be described as a woman of many parts. She’s a marketing communication expert, a mother and a talented singer. Taiwo Oladoye began singing professionally in 2012, when together with her husband, she staged a musical concert tagged “An Evening with Jesus”. That same year, she released her debut album, ‘Shake Up The Heaven’, with the hit track, ‘No Be Me, Na God’. In this interview, Oladoye opens up on the journey so far. Enjoy:

Can we take a peep into your background?
I was born in Ibadan, Oyo State to Mr and Mrs Christopher Ogundele. I’m from Abeokuta, Ogun State. I had my primary education at Niger Pre-Age International Home School, Ipaja, Lagos. My secondary education was at Comprehensive High School (aka The Great Compro), Aiyetoro, Ogun State. And I am a graduate of Accountancy from The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo State.

As you progress in life, what were the things uppermost in your mind?
After my NYSC, I was actually more concerned with getting a job, in line with my discipline. God in His awesome ways, after a brief stint at Omega Bank, provided the opportunity of a career in advertising via the Insight Communications Management Traineeship programme in 2004. Today, to God’s glory, I hold a senior management position as a media strategist with Media Perspectives, a member of Troyka Holdings.

Were you born a Christian or when did you become born again?
I was born a nominal Christian, became born again in secondary school in 1989, and rededicated my life to Christ in November 1994.

How did you come into music?
It’s a gift from God; it’s in-born. I am also privileged to be born into a family of music lovers; my parents were members of the choir where they met and got married. I kept exploring this gift also as a chorister right from my secondary school, till date. I’m currently a member of the Faith Tabernacle Choir of the Living Faith Church aka Winners Chapel.

How did music start professionally for you?
It started professionally in October 2012, when together with my husband, we staged our first musical concert tagged “An Evening with Jesus”. Afterwards, we decided to release my debut album entitled ‘Shake Up The Heaven’, with the hit track ‘No Be Me, Na God’ released in December 2012.

Did you attend any musical training?
No, everything I’ve learned has been by the grace of God.

Can you share your music recording experience?
Tosin Paul of Rote Entertainment produced my album. My studio experience was very interesting but demanding. I had my own sessions at night, in order to ensure there was no clash with my job. For the two weeks during which we worked on the album, I was going from the office to the studio, but it was an enriching experience. I thank God for the entire team; their passion was contagious.

What is your ultimate plan for music?
Music for me is a very powerful tool. The ultimate plan is in God’s hands, but we are open to know and keep following His instructions per time. I am trusting God that my music at every point will be a tool in God’s hands, for healing, restoration of joy, and hope to people all over the world.

How is your first album doing commercially?
Thank God, we are making progress. The tracks are now listed on various online music stores like Spinlet, Itunes, Amazon, Google Play, etc. They are also registered as Callertunez on MTN, Airtel and Glo networks. Today, through my official PR Team, UK-based Tosh Mag PR, I am registered on Wikipedia and Vevo Youtube. We now have two videos (No Be Me, Na God and Oruko Re Ti Niyin To) on media, both online and regular TV.

How did you meet your husband?
We both served and met in the choir. He is a musician aside running his business endeavours and responsibilities as CEO, Waves Records, my records label. He’s a man on a mission; always mindful of making the most of every instruction God drops in his heart.

How did he propose?
It was a straight declaration of intent right from the beginning. We both knew upon my consent to begin the relationship that we were heading for the altar. So, there were no games.

How was your response to his love proposal?
I was grateful to God for giving me a man who’s passionate about God and His purpose on earth. He’s a purpose driven man.

What is your perception of love?
Love for me is a decision, a choice between two people to accept, care for, build, and be mindful and faithful to each other, before God and above all else.

How has it been combining music with family?
It’s been quite demanding but thank God for His grace and my husband’s unflinching support.

You’ve won awards including MEGA, how has winning awards affected your life and career?
It certainly means, there’s no stopping me, by God’s grace. It also means there’s more to be done. God has opened the way, we must keep moving.

How much support do you get from your spouse?
My husband gives me all the support I need and a lot more. He has sacrificed a lot financially and in many other ways unquantifiable. I can only pray that God will continue to bless and uphold him in all his ways. I am grateful to God for blessing my children and me with him.

What turns you on and off?
God’s love turns me on every time. I also like when people are accepted and loved for who they are and not just what they have in terms of physical possessions.

How do you relax?
I relax with my family, making noise with my children, watching cartoons, and listening to music on my own.

What motivates you?
The thought of God’s grace, the desire to use His gifts and be a blessing; positive results in whatever I do keep me going.

Who is your role model?
My role model is first my mentor, Bishop David Oyedepo of the Living Faith Church aka Winners Chapel. Then musically, I have enjoyed the music of Cece Winans, Yolanda Adams, Shirley Ceaser, Don Moen, Marvin Sapp, Donnie McClurkin, and Whitney Houston.

Where do you hope to be musically in the next five years?
I trust God for a lot more albums, videos, and awards, but above all, to be a very relevant force in the lives of people, especially youths through my music. This will be my contribution to nation building and the world at large.

What’s your prayer for Nigeria?
That God will heal Nigeria and bring her to her true destiny as a land flowing with milk and honey. I also pray that God will open the eyes of each and every one of us, to discover our place in destiny, and the courage to pursue it until we fulfill it. When we each take our places, playing our roles correctly, Nigeria will be restored.


By: DAMILOLA FATUNMISE

No comments:

Post a Comment